Holy Trinity Old St Clements Parish Church – this is the third building on the site. The first being 11th century and dedicated to St Clement. This latest Victorian building was built in 1841 and re-dedicated to Holy Trinity. Now known locally as Holy Trinity Old St Clement the church enjoys plenty of support and attention and is more or less complete as a Victorian era church interior with some older stonework. Three static bells sit in the bell tower dating from the 13th, 15th and 18th centuries and all ring out across the flatlands on many occasions. The church is opened daily for visitors.
For more information regarding the Church and local history, pick up a copy of Historic Blacktoft by Robert Thompson. Copies of the book can be purchased from the Old School Hall, the Church or the Hope & Anchor pub for £4.50 each. For further information, contact either; Robert Thompson (Church Warden), Manor Croft, Blacktoft, tel: 01430 440347; or Secretary to the Parochial Church Council Sue Nicholson, The Joiners Shop, Blacktoft.
The Old School Hall – once the village school, is typically Victorian with some original features. When it stopped educating the youngsters it continued feeding them. The new Edwardian school further down the road replaced the little school hall but the hall
still had the kitchen for school dinners. When the Edwardian school closed in the 1960’s the children were educated at Gilberdyke Primary then Howden Senior School and the little hall was run as a community hall for a few years before the Parochial Church Council bought it for a few pounds.
The Old School hall in Blacktoft is number 22 of 25 points on the Larkin Trail, a trail set up to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the death of the famous poet Philip Larkin.
The poet, originally from Coventry, was the Librarian of Hull University and loved cycling around the countryside taking photographs and no doubt getting inspiration for his poetry.
Larkin is buried in the municipal cemetery in Cottingham, near Hull, with the simple inscription “Philip Larkin 1922-1985 Writer”.
RSPB Blacktoft Sands bird sanctuary – situated on the South side of the River Ouse and is a Site of Special Scientifc Interest (SSSI). It is 122 hectares of tidal reed bed with brackish lagoons and has 270 species of birds and water voles. Four fantastic Konik (Konig) ponies are used to graze 32 hectares of the site. For more information visit the RSPB website www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/b/blacktoftsands/, email email@example.com or telephone: 01405 704665