Holy Trinity Old St Clements Parish Church
This is the third building on the site. The first being 11th century and dedicated to St Clement. This latest Victorian building was built in 1841 and re-dedicated to Holy Trinity. Now known locally as Holy Trinity Old St Clement the church enjoys plenty of support and attention and is more or less complete as a Victorian era church interior with some older stonework. Three static bells sit in the bell tower dating from the 13th, 15th and 18th centuries and all ring out across the flatlands on many occasions. The church is opened daily for visitors.
For more information regarding the Church and local history, pick up a copy of Historic Blacktoft by Robert Thompson. Copies of the book can be purchased from the Old School Hall, the Church or the Hope & Anchor pub for £4.50 each. For further information, contact either; Robert Thompson (Church Warden), Manor Croft, Blacktoft, tel: 01430 440347; or Secretary to the Parochial Church Council Sue Nicholson, The Joiners Shop, Blacktoft.
RSPB Blacktoft Sands Bird Sanctuary
Situated on the South side of the River Ouse and is a Site of Special Scientifc Interest (SSSI). It is 122 hectares of tidal reed bed with brackish lagoons and has 270 species of birds and water voles. Four fantastic Konik (Konig) ponies are used to graze 32 hectares of the site.
For more information visit the RSPB website www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/b/blacktoftsands/
Telephone: 01405 704665
The Old School Hall & The Larkin Trail
Once the village school, is typically Victorian with some original features. When it stopped educating the youngsters it continued feeding them. The new Edwardian school further down the road replaced the little school hall but the hall still had the kitchen for school dinners. When the Edwardian school closed in the 1960’s the children were educated at Gilberdyke Primary then Howden Senior School and the little hall was run as a community hall for a few years before the Parochial Church Council bought it for a few pounds.
The Old School hall in Blacktoft is number 22 of 25 points on the Larkin Trail, a trail set up to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the death of the famous poet Philip Larkin.
The poet, originally from Coventry, was the Librarian of Hull University and loved cycling around the countryside taking photographs and no doubt getting inspiration for his poetry.
Larkin is buried in the municipal cemetery in Cottingham, near Hull, with the simple inscription “Philip Larkin 1922-1985 Writer”.
Trans Pennine Trail (TPT) Stamping Station
The Trans Pennine Trail is an exciting route for walkers, cyclists and horse riders linking the North and Irish seas, passing through the Pennines, alongside rivers and canals and through some of the most historic towns and cities in the North of England. The Trail from coast-to-coast between Southport and Hornsea is 215 miles (346Km) long.
A north-south route connecting Leeds and Chesterfield, a spur to York and a spur to Kirkburton means there are approximately 370 miles (595 km) of Trans Pennine Trail available to explore.
The Trans Pennine Trail is mapped and signed all the way, mainly traffic free and is surprisingly level considering the dramatic scenery along the way. Easy gradients and surfaced paths make many sections suitable for families, gentle exercise and people using wheelchairs and pushchairs. So whether on foot, horse or cycle; for a day or longer; alone with friends and family – the Trans Pennine Trail (TPT) can offer something for everyone.
Trans Pennine Trail stamping scheme
Been There, Done That, Now get the T-Shirt! Certificates are available for completing the Trans Pennine Trail from either Liverpool or Southport to either Hull or Hornsea or the full Trail including the section from Leeds to Chesterfield.
To qualify you need to use the Trans Pennine Trail Stamping Card to collect stamps from participating locations across the trail. The cards, complete with full instructions are included with any maps ordered from the TPT office or website.